If This, Then That. (IFTTT)

Sounds like a logic puzzle, doesn't it?  Or maybe something out of your high-school programming class?

Yep, you're not far off.

IFTTT is a website.  It's a website where you can go in and automate just about anything.

For example, on their home page right now, I see little applets that will do things like "Get an e-mail if there will be rain in your area tomorrow".  And "E-mail me when there are new books on the best-seller list."   There are also more specific ones, like "Get an E-mail when X Store puts new products for sale."  The list is almost endless.  I'm incredibly thankful it's searchable.


I know I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, But in doing so, I really thought I should share.

The biggest (and currently) the only applet I'm using is RSS to E-mail.  So that takes an RSS feed, and e-mails me each time that feed has an update.  Why is that useful?

This:

Screen Capture from IFTTT, showing a number of RSS subsciptions to KAL threads.
Screen Grab from my own Applets on IFTTT
 This is a screenshot from my own IFTTT account.  I've got a bunch of the RSS to E-mail applets.  And they're incredibly useful.  They consolidate all of my feeds across a bunch of different threads places right into my e-mail account.  The biggest purpose?  To keep up-to-date on Ravelry KAL threads, chat threads, blog posts, and more!  While Ravelry's 'watch thread'  function is useful, no question, for me and my admittedly distractable mind, getting an e-mail for each new post is even better!  It insures that I don't miss a post that I actually might care about.

This also means that following blogs, no matter the host, is easy!  If there's not an easy 'follow by e-mail' option on the blog I'm looking at, I've yet to find a blog that doesn't have an RSS feed.
 
I also am looking at getting IFTTT to e-mail me when specific people I follow on Facebook/Google+ post new content.  On Facebook, it's rare to see all of someone's content unless you go right to their page, and for me, having everything one place makes sure I don't miss something! Right now I can't find an applet for that, but maybe I can make one?

Anyway, I've been wanting to share this cool piece of tech for a bit, so, here you folks go!

Have any of you used IFTTT?  How did you find it?  Did it work for you (or not)?   Please, let me know in the comments!

Comments