Sneak Peak from the IKD Challenge!

Well, the Initiate Knit Design Challenge from Aroha Knits has finished up, and I wanted to share with you all what I came up with!

A small swatch of cable and lace knit in the round; done in sky blue fingering-weight yarn.

I know, it doesn't look like much, but this little swatch will one day become a hat!

The inspiration's been kicking around the back of my brain for this one for a while.  Where I live used to be a factory/industrial area, and now the factories and such are being converted into condos, lofts, and office buildings.   But there's still some quirky architecture around, and one of those quirks is still some slats of corrugated metal on the side of buildings that create vertical lines -- except when they don't create lines due to wear, rust, or decay.   So, I wanted tight vertical twists of cables, with a few open holes; and this is the stitch pattern I came up with.

The yarn for this is Northbound Knitting Merino Silk Fingering, and it's a gorgeous yarn to work with. The Merino gives it a bit of stretch, and the silk gives it sheen and amazing drape.  Even my Fuzzy Knitting Helper approves of this yarn:

A black fluffy cat curled around a wound up ball of yarn.  The cat looks to be asleep.
The rough release timing for this pattern is probably sometime in November 2017, if everything comes together properly, so keep your eyes open here late September/early October for the test knit call!

That's it for now, so until next time!

Comments