Designer's Challenge -- Mitered Drawstring Bag Preview!

Hello all!

So,  once again, I've been inspired by the wonderful people who run the Ravelry Designer's Challenge. 

The July/August Challenge was to create a bag using Miters, and an idea came to me almost instantly.

I went diving deep into my stash, and came up with several partial skeins of Red Heart Eco-Cotton (sadly, now discontinued, but any 'dishcloth cotton' should suffice just perfectly for this!)  

Photography: Stephanie Wallace
Although I knit this in what's classified as an Aran yarn, pretty much any yarn weight would work for this, which makes it a great stash-buster!

The base is started using the same cast-on that you would use for toe-up socks.  One the base is wide enough and deep enough, mitered squares are added right onto the live stitches.  The photo shows three 'tiers' of squares, but if you wanted a deeper bag, you could add more!   The squares are joined together by picking up and knitting stitches from the squares below.

Then, the mouth of the bag has eyelets for a twisted cord and a striped garter-stitch edge.

What's not shown here is that there is a second option for the bag bottom -- there's a tapered bottom, (which is the one shown), and I have plans to add in an option for a flatter, more circular bottom, as well. 

Well, regardless, I'm hoping to have this up for testing as soon as I get the layout work done!   Thanks for reading, and I plan to check back in soon!
 

Comments